Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My inner foodie...and cake!

So I came across this Mudslide Poke Cake on Pinterest. It looked amazing! http://beyondfrosting.com/2013/07/05/mudslide-poke-cake/

But I don't like dark chocolate, and being pregnant I didn't want to use the liquor (because it's not added before cooking). Plus, the directions are a little off. So I decided I was going to tweak this a little. I was not disappointed!! And the boys LOVED the "pudding" that was left over!

Here is how I made mine! (also, the very first time I made this cake, I cheated because it was Easter weekend and it was BUSY!! I bought a pre made chocolate sheet cake and just added more coffee to the chocolate chip, condensed milk mixture. So if you're lucky enough to be able to get your hands on pre-made frozen sheet cakes, that's a super easy, super tasty cheat to class it up!)

My take on Mudslide Poke Cake
Ingredients:
         1 chocolate box cake (and enough coffee to replace water in recipe)
         Milk chocolate chips
         Can sweetened condensed milk
         Bailey’s Mudslide creamer
         Package instant chocolate pudding (I use 2 big boxes and my family eats the left over “pudding” for a week)
         Milk
         Cool whip (If you can find the creamy French Vanilla, I use that, but it’s limited edition)

Directions:
         Bake cake according to the instructions on box, except replace water with coffee. (I use a K-cup and sometimes I use the Cappuccino ones). Makes a 9x13” cake. Allow to cool about 10 minutes.
         While cake is baking melt sweetened condensed milk with chocolate chips. (I guessed here, and used about half a bag. You can use more or less depending on how sweet you want it. I also use a splash of coffee IF there is any left, but you can leave that step out.) Melt and mix until smooth.
         When cake has cooled slightly, poke holes all over cake with a straw or wooden spoon handle.
         Poor melted chocolate and condensed milk over warm cake allowing to fill holes. Let cool completely.

         Make pudding according to package directions, only replace ¼ - ½ of milk with the Bailey’s Mudslide coffee creamer (I bought a small creamer and was only able to replace ¼ the first time, the more creamer you use, the more it taste like a Mudslide). Whisk until starting to thicken. Add a small tub of cool whip and whisk together. Let stand in refrigerate while cake is cooling.
         When cake is cooled and pudding mixture is thick, frost cake with pudding mixture.

         Let set in fridge for an hour for best results.

I I just made this cake again in cupcake form for Teacher Appreciation week. I will try to add a picture to this later! This is my new favorite cake! Seriously, do yourself a favor and make the double big boxes of instant pudding and save it in those little to go containers (once it's all mixed in with the cool whip). We have some in the freezer still from the last time I made the cake. We haven't bought Snack Packs since!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment